×

What Does Alcohol Do to Your Teeth?

Alcohol consumption can be highly dangerous to human health as it severely affects the kidney and its functions, disturb human senses and directly imbalances brain capacities. We all are familiar with these issues but what we are not focusing on while having alcohol is our oral health.

Alcohol plays a major role in activating several health problems, in a similar way your oral health is at risk too. Uncontrolled intake of alcohol can cause cancer of various types including oral cancer.

In this article, you will read what alcohol does to your teeth and how you can minimise the damages.

Oral cancer

Alcohol intake increases the chances of oral cancer by 35%. In case, along with alcohol you smoke or chew tobacco then oral cancer chances rise to 65% percent. The numbers are incredibly high, and in many cases, cancer becomes the cause of death.

Mouth skin diseases

When you sip alcohol from a glass, bottle or can, the hardness of drink badly damages your cheek, lip and tongue tissues. The frizz of soda makes the skin dry, rough which ends up in scoring or peeling of skin. Regular damages to your skin can cause blisters or infection. Sometimes blisters make your mouth swell.

The best ways to minimise these issues are to use a straw and dilute your drink with water but not with soda.

Tooth loss, tooth decay, cracked and broken teeth

Alcohol mutilates the enamel layer and causes gum soring. Due to regular use of alcohol enamel layer wipes away making your teeth directly exposed to the effects of food and bacteria. It might also cause holes or cracks in teeth which weakens the teeth structure.

Sore Gums play a significant role in tooth decay, toothache and tooth loss. It unfastened the grip of gum and tooth. Slowly the tooth starts to wobble and after sometimes it falls down. Gum infections are highly painful, and they disturb the whole structure of jaw.

The easiest solution is to control alcohol intake. Always rinse your mouth immediately and adequately after having alcohol.

Tooth staining and bad breath

Alcohol has a bad smell, so it makes your mouth stinky. The roughness of alcohol dries your mouth which means less quantity of saliva present in your mouth. It also blemishes the enamel layer and makes the teeth appear yellowish.

Use toothpaste specially made for drinkers. Rinse your mouth properly and drink plenty of water after alcohol intake. Use Recaldent or tooth mousse if recommended by your dentist. Avoid having concentrated shots.

Narrow down the quantity of alcohol for your health sake. Make sure you brush your teeth twice a day and use a good quality toothpaste. Visit your dentist immediately if you are facing problems like bristles, gum sizzling, sensitivity or a toothache.    

©copyrights 2018_Confidental Advance Dentistry - All rights reserved.

Powered by logosensation