As a family dentist with a specialty in orthodontics, we see a lot of people in different stages of their lives who want to correct their teeth. Previously, the only choice they had was traditional metal braces, but modern dentistry has presented another option: removable orthodontics.
We believe that everyone should make well-informed decisions about their dental health, and the truth is, removable orthodontics like Invisalign aren’t for everyone! The right choice depends on your circumstances; there are pros and cons to both choices. Read on to take a look at what they are.
Metal or Ceramic Braces: Traditional Teeth Alignment
If you have misaligned teeth and you’ve been considering correction for a while, then you’re most likely familiar with braces already! You can choose between metal and ceramic types, the latter functioning as a more subtle option.
Don’t worry, modern technology has updated braces significantly from the stereotypical, clunky braces you might be imagining! They’re smaller, more comfortable, and many use arch-wires that contract with body heat, thus moving your teeth with less painful results. Both metal and ceramic kinds usually need to stay in for eighteen to twenty-four months, although that time will vary depending on how severe your misalignment is.
The Pros of Traditional Braces
- Metal and ceramic braces are ideal for more severe dental issues and malocclusions.
- Metal braces are a cost-effective option that guarantees results.
- Ceramic braces are more expensive than metal braces due to the materials required, but they’re still cheaper than Invisalign.
- Ceramic braces provide the same guarantee with a subtler look, as they are tooth coloured.
The Cons of Traditional Braces
- Metal and ceramic braces are still quite noticeable, which can impact self-confidence.
- Ceramic braces are more expensive than metal braces, due to the addition of an extra material.
- They’re permanently affixed to your teeth, so you’ll have difficulty with eating certain foods, and brushing your teeth effectively.
Invisalign: Invisible and Removable Orthodontics
The Invisalign invisible aligner is an orthodontics option that has been rising in popularity ever since its invention. These are invisible and removable orthodontics trays, which are custom-made to fit your mouth. Over the course of several months, wearers gradually change the trays to bring their teeth into alignment. Once the process is over, they wear a retainer to keep their teeth “in shape”, so to speak.
Invisalign aligners neatly side-step any issues wearers may have with their self-confidence, while providing the same result as braces to people with mild misalignments or malocclusions.
The Pros of Invisalign
- Invisalign is almost invisible when worn, which helps a lot of people in feeling more confident about their smile while it is being repaired.
- The Invisalign trays are removable, so anything can be eaten by the wearer.
- Removable trays also allow for thorough brushing and flossing during re-alignment, something that is not present with traditional braces.
The Cons of Invisalign
- Invisalign is only suitable for people with mild to moderate dental issues, as the trays aren’t robust enough to handle severe malocclusions.
- Due to the process of consulting and creating the trays, Invisalign trays are more expensive than traditional braces.
At the end of the day, the right choice for you will depend on your specific dental needs. Our advice? Chat to your dentist! They’ll be able to comprehensively assess your oral health and make recommendations based on your goals and budget.
Take charge of your smile and restore your confidence today!
Get confident with Confidental
Our dental team specialises in orthodontics for Auckland patients, and we want to help you restore confidence in your smile. Get in touch to arrange a consultation with our orthodontics team today!